Everyone should know by now that these coming days are part of the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee – Marking 60 years of The Queen’s reign! Many people in the UK heard about it and love it mainly because we all have holiday from the 2nd to the 5th of June 2012. But here’s a fact for you:
The Queen came to the throne on 6 February 1952 and her coronation took place on 2 June 1953. She celebrated her Silver Jubilee (25 years) in 1977 and her Golden Jubilee (50 years) in 2002.
We were looking through the official websites and the other articles written by the news websites and have found quite a lot of interesting facts about Queen Elizabeth II, besides the fact that at the time of her coronation most of us at Sparks Electrical Wholesalers were not even born. Here are some interesting facts via, 60 Facts about The Queen (at The Diamond Jubilee website):
- The Queen is the fortieth monarch since William the Conqueror obtained the crown of England.
- There have been six Archbishops of Canterbury during The Queen’s reign
- The Queen is currently patron of over 600 charities and organisations, over 400 of which she has held since 1952.
- The Queen has personally held over 610 Investitures.
- In 60 years, The Queen has undertaken 261 official overseas visits, including 96 State Visits, to 116 different countries.
- The first football match The Queen attended was the 1953 FA Cup Final.
- The Queen learnt to drive in 1945.
- The Queen has launched 21 ships during her reign.
- There have been only three Diamond Jubilees of Heads of State celebrated throughout the world during The Queen’s reign
Well, from all those at Sparks Electrical, we would like to wish a warm, Have a Nice Holiday, and, God Bless the Queen! We will close our showroom in Archway on Monday the 4th and Tuesday the 5th of June 2012, but we will return back to the normal schedule on Wednesday the 6th of June 2012.
More about the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee online (our favorite links):