In this article we would like to introduce you to the B.E.G. Luxomat range of Occupancy Detectors (occupancy detector for inside use), specifically designed to save energy in the buildings they are installed! The approach LUXOMAT takes is for saving energy in buildings is the LUXOMAT® occupancy detector for ceiling installation indoors. More features about the Occupancy Detectors:
- These Occupancy Detectors are predominantly remote controllable 360° occupancy detector for controlling electrical consumers as required.
- Blended measurement of daylight and artificial light.
- The light measurement continues to be active after movement is registered and after the artificial lighting has been switched on.
- These ranges of Occupancy Detectors can be used for the most varying detection zones.
- There are some special solutions available also, e.g. for use in high-bay storages, for connection to KNX/EIB, LON BUS or as DALI version.
- The use of the Occupancy Detectors saves a great deal of energy throughout the building.
The Motion Detectors and The Occupancy Detectors
Seen historically, occupancy detectors used as light switches were originally only used for a building’s outside lighting and were primarily used for security. But recently, for these past few years, the occupancy detectors are also being used indoors (inside the buildings) for presence detection and for energy saving. Here they are referred to as occupancy detectors and are used to save energy and to increase security (Building Facility Management).
There is basically no difference between the motion detectors and the occupancy detectors. Physically they are based on the same infrared technology principle which they use to detect moving thermal sources. The difference is merely the equipping of the technical parameters. For instance, conventional occupancy detectors can’t measure the artificial light, but the occupancy detectors equipped with blended light measurement (occupancy detectors) can. So the occupancy detectors are more sensitive and are equipped with blended light measurement to increase energy efficiences. The B.E.G. Luxomat detectors are designed to meet all the various needs – the Luxomat PD3 are for standard applications, the Luxomat PD2 are for remote control, the Luxomat PD9 are for discrete applications and the Luxomat PD4 are for the larger areas. Types of occupancy detectors:
- Completely automatic – characterizes the automatic lighting cycle sequence which is only controlled by a timer and light sensor.
- Semiautomatic – characterizes the switch on cycle initiated via a key with subsequent automatic operation. The lighting can be manually switched on and off or dimmed at any time.
General information about the indoor occupancy detectors – energy saving devices
General information: In contrast to the occupancy detectors for outside use, in the case of the indoor occupancy detectors the lighting will be switched off if enough daylight is present (through highly developed measuring of the existing mixed light). Advice: Please do not locate the detector near a heating or air condition source! Also, if the detector is mounted too close to a luminaire the detection range may be affected. See below the different types of indoor occupancy detectors: the Master-occupancy detector, the DIM-occupancy detector, the DUO-occupancy detector, the Corridor-occupancy detector, and the PD9-occupancy detector.
The Master-occupancy detector
- Master units should not to be operated in parallel.
- An extension of the detection area is possible with reasonable slave units.
- Please locate master units as light controller always in the darkest location of the room!
The DIM-occupancy detector
- An easy and cost effective way to realize a constant light control with the dim version.
- Remote control to set parameters.
- In case of dim-units the mounting location is changing to the reference of the lighting level.
- The installation is so that artificial light will be detected only, the regulation happens from the dim-detector itself.
The DUO-occupancy detector
- The presence detection is made simultaneously for both channels together. At the same time both light sensors measure the light levels in two different zones of the room and compare these with two preselected light levels.
- The switching channel switches the light if the occupancy detects motion and the light level is insufficient and switches off the light if there is no more presence or sufficient light.
- Manual dim of the light with common pushbutton and adjustment of each channel up until the preselected nominal value in depending from the environment brightness.
- The remote control can be used to adjust the timer and light level of each dim channel common or separately.
The Corridor-occupancy detector
- The large range of 20m on each side is reachable only in one axis, which is identically with the corridor axis.
- Important: After mounting line up lens to the outer mark, otherwise the optimum range is not reachable.
- In an angle of ±80° to this axis the standard PD4-range is valid.
The PD9-occupancy detector
- Because of the fewer lenses, the sensitivity is less than the PD1- PD5 series.
These specs / details are as presented in the B.E.G. Luxomat catalogue. To purchase BEG Luxomat Occupancy Detectors, visit our website – Fire and Security, Energy Management, Occupancy Detectors & Switches.